The 39th annual Earth Day has come and gone and my naked celebration of dancing in the garden is over. I'm kidding, of course- sheesh, I wear an organic tutu during the dance.
Really, for me Earth Day is simply a reminder to be conscious of the choices I make every other day of the year. I don't celebrate by slashing the tires of Hummers or dancing naked (as much as I might like to do both at times). While I try to live an "eco-friendly" life style, I know I am absolutely no Ed Beagly Jr. I love Diet Coke and would never consider living without some form of air conditioning. So I try to alleviate some of my air-conditioning induced guilt by changing other habits.
The one way I can honestly say I have shown improvement is in the plastic bag department. I try to always carry a reusable bag in my car or purse, and if I don't have one handy I opt to go without a bag when possible. It is a small change, but just one of many simple things I know I can do.
Over the past year I have used many a reusable bag- everything from the 99 cent Walgreens totes to the more expensive canvas bags. I have also torn and destroyed several reusable bags simply from overuse. Those flimsy (and cheap) Walgreens bags really are reusable for only so long, which sort of defeats the purpose.
So I was thrilled to discover the best reusable bags I have ever owned, Joey Totes.
Joey Totes have every single feature I could ask for in a reusable bag:
- They come in 2 sizes, because you don't always need a huge bag
- They have their own convenient storage bags. The bags have a pocket sewn into the liner, and the whole bag fits in the pocket for easy storage. I carry them in my purse with no problem at all.
- They are sturdy- made from nylon and designed to hold up to 40lbs.
- They're washable.
Joey Totes really make the one act of carrying reusable bags effortless and sensible. I have had these totes for one week and have used them at least 5 times because they are already with me in my purse.
A large Joey Tote can be purchased on their site for $8.50. You can also buy them in sets of three; 2 small 8" x 4" totes and 1 large 9.5" x 5" tote for $14 or 2 large totes and 1 small tote for $20. A bit more than the 99 cent or freebie reusable bags but totally worth it considering they promise to keep your milk and oranges off the sidewalk unlike some of the bags I have used.
If you buy a set of Joey Totes by May 31st you can get 10% off using a very special code just for my readers. Just type in "I Like Green" (case sensitive, no quotes) in the coupon code at checkout. I personally think these would be a very sensible Mother's Day gift, and when it comes to gifts my Mom adores sensible.
Kate and Chris, the awesome owners of Joey Totes, are also offering one set of totes to my readers! So enter to snag your own set:
Tell me if you use reusable bags, and if you don't why. I promise not to make you feel guilty as long as you don't take away my air conditioning. This entry MUST be done for the extras to count.
- Become a fan of Joey Totes on Facebook (1 entry, please leave your facebook name or the initials of your name)
- Vote for Joey Totes on Mom Faves (1 entry, please leave your Mom Faves user ID)
- Fav my blog on technorati or tell me if you already have (1 entry, link on the right side please leave your user name)
- Follow my blog (1 entry)
- Follow me on twitter and tweet (once per day, please leave linky)
Giveaway is open to U.S. residents only. Entries will be accepted until 12 AM CST May 1st